Friday, May 25, 2012

Frugal Friday Tip: Saving Money on Gas

So last week we went over how to get into movie screenings.  This week I want to give you all my two cents about saving money on gas: and with summer prices I feel like it's a good time.

My biggest piece of advice would be to use GasBuddy.  If you have any sort of smartphone, you can download this as a free app.  It's in the itunes app store here and can be downloaded for androids here.  You can also get it for blackberries and windows phones.  Otherwise you can use their website.  While I don't recommend driving across town to get gas that is 5 cents less, knowing that there are stations on your route that vary even 10 cents can help you save at least a few dollars every time you fill up, which can be significant over the long run.

Slightly more cost efficient is making sure that you use any grocery saver card gas deal that you might already have.  In Denver King Soopers has a program that gives a ten cent per gallon gas discount for each hundred dollars of groceries you buy in addition to always offering a three cent discount just for being a reward member.  These compound and can equate to big discounts if you already shop there: recently my Dad had racked up 70 cents off a gallon--which works on an entire fill up!

Also, if you have a Costco card or can get put on a family members membership, filling up at Costco can be an easy way to save  a lot on gas (this is where I tend to get gas in California).

Any suggestions I missed???

No comments:

Post a Comment